Sunday, September 11, 2011

What I've Been Reading: September 10, 2011


It's been a week of catching up with family, cleaning my apartment, and catching up on all that I've bookmarked over the past two months.

1. A Glass of Wine a Day Keeps the Doc Away
I shouldn't feel guilty when I come home, open that bottle of Marquis-Phillips on the counter, and pour myself a lovely glass of red wine - especially as it's now thought to keep the doctor away (OK, I'm no middle age woman, but still...) 

2. A Smart Secret for Roasting Chicken
I'm a fan of starting the bird breast-side down at first, but assuming you've got a decent oven-safe fry pan or skillet (and a good oven mitt), do as Mark Bittman does and start the bird in a blazing hot frypan.

3. Vegetable Gardening is on the Rise
It's not only good for your purse, but it's spending a couple of hours getting lost in the dirt, I think, is good for our over-programmed minds, too.

4. Save Summer - In a Jar
My raspberry jam-making traditions were cancelled this year by Irene. Argh! But I may just make this in two weeks to go with some gluten-free muffins when entertaining weekend guests. What do you think?

5. Pomegranate Molasses
Yep, you heard me right. I agree with Melissa Clark on this one - they're one of my favorite condiments. I'm a fan of it in muhammara (I tested this recipe), but here it's used to glaze chicken. Try it tonight!

6. Barcelona Wine Bar's Latest Addition
I may no longer be a CT resident, but you can't take my love for Barcelona away from the girl. Now, I wonder if Bartaco is serving up some gluten-free goodies to tempt me...

7. A Colorful Way to Get Your Five-a-Day
Stir fries are not just healthy, they're easy to make, delicious, and nutritious, too.

8. Rescue Cat
A lovely, 9/11 tale of how once-homeless (?) cat not only found a home that sunny Tuesday morning.

9. A Nutty Way to End the Day
Gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free - and with a handful of chocolate chips, these are the best way to reward yourself at the end of the day (though I'm thinking they'd be delish pre-am run!)

10. Just What Sundays Should be For
Ohhhh... This is may be the only (OK, no there are two - pizza!) reason why I miss gluten. Sweet, sticky, yeasted sticky buns.

11. What to Do with Elderberries
They're not just used for making my favorite liqueur (St-Germain) or the best cold remedy ever (Roots Remedies). Why not make a deep berry jam with them, too?

12. A Gluten-Free Alternative
Robert Steinberg's rich chocolaty brownies are one of my favorites. He adapted a recipe from Maida Heatter, and he's published a recipe with the one and only John Scharffenberger (yeah, of chocolate fame - they were co-founders). Even Alice Medrich has adapted his supernaturally amazing treats to suit her needs. So no wonder I got all excited when I spotted this recipe over at David Leibovitz's blog. Now, I just need a non-corn alternative to cornstarch. 

13. Stylish and Oh So Cool
Click through this to check it out. 

14. Roasted Grapes on Toast
Now, I might have to swap out the ricotta for quark or Buffalo mozzarella, and my handy-dandy gluten-free almond-rice bread instead, but don't those grapes look delish?

No comments: