Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Last of Summer Raspberries

When the weather gets too hot to cook, a refreshing and light fruit salad is just the thing to serve. I love wedges of Crenshaw melon with prosciutto and mint, maybe a drizzle of balsamico or feta. Fresh figs alone, maybe with some Swiss or goat cheese. Any fresh strawberries with ricotta and basil? Yum. And don't forget everyone's favorite: Raspberries. Served with leftover grilled chicken, atop Greek yogurt for breakfast — or as I did, served simply alone with shaved Parmigiano and a slice of toasted bread, this salad below is just the thing to serve for summer.

Yet, sadly, my raspberry dreams were thwarted by Irene this year. After a weekend of wind and more wind, my favorite local raspberry patch, Four Town Farm, lost it's bumper raspberry harvest. I guess I'll have to wait til next year for more raspberry jam. And in the mean time, store-bought and frozen will have to do.

Hearty Raspberry Fruit Salad

I used to eat this over yogurt or ricotta - now that I'm dairy-free, simply plain or over cooked rice will do.

5 ounces raspberries
2 large sprigs of mint, leaves removed and cut into a fine chiffonade
¼ cup chopped roasted almonds
Shavings of Parmigiano-Reggiano, for serving (optional)
Toasted bread (optional)

Place raspberries in a bowl and gently combine with mint and almonds. Divide between 2 plates and garnish with optional Parmigiano. Serve with toasted bread, if desired.

Serves 2 

No comments: