Friday, September 23, 2011

Weekends, Vacations, and What I'm Reading: September 23, 2011


It's going to be a quiet weekend this weekend. Well, not for me, really. But here, at least. I'm taking two days off to escape work, the world, and the pace of everyday life to hopefully kick this cold I've been flirting with for the past month, catch up on some must-needed sleep, and to spend some quality time with five of my dear girlfriends in one of my favorite places on earth - with two four-legged friends, too.

While there just might be some experimenting in the kitchen (drumroll, my first real attempt at gluten-free baking, as pancakes don't count....!!!), you will have to certainly wait until Sunday for some mouthwatering photographs.

In the meantime, I'll be sharing some of the favorite posts and news I've been reading this week. From vodka-infused cherry tomatoes, straight from the garden, to a hearty and healthy alternative to Caesar Salad, to my favorite news: Providence, R.I. is one of the top three cities in the U.S. for dining out (if you haven't already been, run, don't walk to PVD. Check out New Rivers, La Laiterie, Olga's, Seven Stars Bakery, and pick up cheese for a picnic at Farmstead and pasta from Venda Ravioli. Oh, and don't forget ANYTHING on the menu at Al Forno). Yay Lil Rhody!!!!

Without further ado - read the below, or check out what's inspiring me here at Pinterest.

One of my favorite foods - and it's an aphrodisiac! A bit of history - and inspiration on how to use figs in cooking. Here are some more ideas (my blog).

OW OW!! Providence topped NYC and came in third to San Fran (and New Orleans, well, eh). YIPPEEE!!! It's the best small city on the East Coast for good food.

Warning Middlebury grads in the New York Tri-State area: American Flatbread!! And Sarabeth's in Tribeca

One of my favorite home decor and design shops in NYC has started their own blog. Check it out!

I am, but I'm not... Dining out when you have food allergies.

What to do with the beginning of the winter greens. Dinner tonight for KO and I? Topped with a poached egg or two... and some gluten-free croutons - or Flaxers

Such a cute party idea. But the key takeaway here? CHOCOLATE-COVERED BACON.

I'm going to have to make one of these to wear to an upcoming wedding, along with my chic DVF dress, and my patent Louboutins, of course!

I'm not a vegan by any means (this girl loves a good steak), but this site is cute and witty with fun illustrations. 

Just when you thought that vodka and tomatoes were only for Bloody Marys. Nope, not anymore.
Lisa is a doll, and when served with a variety of dipping salts, these are addictive and delicious. Oh, and gluten-free! 

Yumminess. While I can't do bulgur wheat, this hearty and healthy salad would be delicious with quinoa, brown rice, or millet

If you love Spinach and Artichoke Dip, you haven't lived until you've had a slice of this. Preferably straight from the oven at the Chelsea shop, taken up to the High Line and eaten sitting amongst the greenery. But when not in NYC, this will do. 

HOLY MOLY YUMMINESS. Just when I thought I was going to have to get over my cravings for onion rings. Brown rice flour works, but it's not the same. Enter potato chips and no hot oil.

AG, you know who you are. When can we go? A hot new wine bar in Stamford, CT.

I love Heidi's blog, and nothing is more delicious and seasonally satisfying than maple syrup or brown sugar, toasted nuts, and rosemary when the weather turns chilly? I'll try making these as a pre-cocktail hour snack this weekend, perhaps?

No comments: