Sunday, April 24, 2011

Margarita-Matching: Chunky Guacamole

Cinco de Mayo wouldn't be complete without a dish of cool, creamy, comforting guacamole. Plus, with a cold margarita in hand and loads of corn chips served with a refreshing salsa (I have a weakness for pineapple...), it's a must.


Now I've shared a winter adaptation for guacamole, made with sundried tomatoes, with you, but now that it's a bit warmer, I'm going for something lighter, fresher, and with flavors a bit more subtle -- the classic guacamole with fresh tomatoes comes to mind.

I love guacamole. I was of the spicy and garlicky crowd — until last summer when I made (and ate) the best guacamole ever. I was working with a recipe derived from Rosa Mexicano and learned that there was no garlic in it. Instead, the white onion (which is more difficult to find) was combined with the jalapeño and half of the mixture was worked to a paste in a molcajete. The avocadoes and chopped tomatoes (I know... it's a crime to add tomatoes to your mock-a-mole my Mexican friend Mercedes says) were then mixed in with the remaining onion-jalapeño mixture.

As white onions are more difficult to find, I now use finely chopped yellow onion. Tomatoes not in season as you read this? Do as I did before, substituting finely chopped sundried tomatoes instead (and cilantro optional). Serve with thick-cut yellow or blue corn chips (and a refreshing Blood Orange Margarita, of course).

Chunky Guacamole
Adapted from The Daily Meal

1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 jalapeño
Sea salt, to taste
2 ripe avocadoes
1 tomato, seeds removed and finely chopped
Cilantro, for garnish (optional)
Corn chips, for serving

In a medium bowl, combine the onion and the jalapeño. Season well. Crush part of the mixture with the back of a wooden spoon or measuring cup. Add the avocado and mash well, while still leaving some chunks. Add the tomato and mix well. Taste for seasoning, adding more if necessary.

Serve immediately with chips.

Serves 4
Total time: 10 minutes

No comments: