Saturday, April 16, 2011

How to Eat the Rainbow

Growing up, I'm sure you had people tell you to "eat your vegetables." Maybe they added "Now, darling, you are what you eat." But have you ever noticed how you might feel slightly more invigorated, energized, even alive when you eat fruits and vegetables? Come on... Just a bit?

I think so.

So this salad came about one day when I was semi-cleaning out the fridge one Saturday night. I had been taking inventory for what I would need to get the next day during my weekly grocery run. I had some leftover cooked yellow beets, and wonderful sun-dried tomatoes. I almost always have baby arugula or spring greens in the fridge -- and lucky for me, this time I had some wonderful carrots (which is rare, as during the winter, I cave and get baby carrots for easy snacking. They're easier and more delicious than the ones in stores). Inspired by a family friend and carpenter who strives to have a dinner plate featuring every color of the rainbow, I chopped and mixed all my ingredients together. 


I used my favorite simple maple-Champagne vinaigrette to bind it all together, and served it alongside a piece of artisan bread with a hunk of cheese on top. Simple, yet so good. While I had this with a glass of Grenache from Australia, it would be really good with a crisp Italian Pinot Grigio or Pinot Bianco -- or a buttery California Chardonnay.


Now, this salad is even better when all of these vegetables are in their prime, but that probably won't be again for a couple months, when the greenmarkets carrots appear. I'm already excited for this year's  carrots. They're SO sweet.

Rainbow Salad

2 cups greens, like arugula or mesclun
2 yellow beets, cooked, peeled, and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
8-10 sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
Salad dressing, to coat
Toasted bread, for serving
A good cheese, for serving


No comments: