Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Sweet and Spicy (Summer-Friendly) Salsa




I know you like salsa. I mean, who doesn't like chips and salsa (even me, who is a picky corn chip consumer)? Salsa on grilled fish or roasted meats? I know some people who love their salsa on their spinach and gruyere omelettes!

What kind of salsa is your favorite? Classic red tomato? Hot or mild? How about tomatillo, roasted garlic or pineapple? Maybe you're looking for a new favorite... While I have yet to experiment with making my new favorite, peach-tomato, I'm sharing one of my go-to favorites for pineapple salsa, that I based off of a summertime favorite, mango-jalapeño. Let me know what you think.

As published on The Daily Meal

A sweet and spicy salsa full of fresh flavors. Pairs well with grilled swordfish or halibut, as well as chicken. Or you can serve it in a bowl with blue corn chips for a party appetizer.

1 whole, ripe pineapple, rind removed, cored, and chopped into 1/4-inch dice (about 3 cups of chunks)
4 jalapeños, stemmed, seeded, and chopped into 1/8-inch dices
1 large red onion, chopped into 1/8-1/4-inch dices
1/2 bunch cilantro, de-stemmed and roughly chopped
Salt, to taste

Combine the pineapple, jalapeño, and red onion in a medium bowl. 
Add the cilantro to the salsa, season with salt and let sit for about 30 minutes at room temperature before serving.

Serves 8
Prep time: 15 minutes

No comments: