Monday, August 3, 2009

Weekend Project II

August is here, and summer has finally arrived! This week, we hope to see temperatures consistently in the mid-80's. I mean, not complaining, but what is a summer without hot sunny days?

One of my favorite morning treats on a hot summer day is iced coffee. Once I started working in the real-world, I started regularly drinking coffee in the morning. Nearly five years later, my morning is not complete without some java. Winter drink of choice? A homemade large 2% cappucchino. My summer drink of choice? An iced coffee, without the strength compromised.

Easy you may think - brew coffee, and put in fridge - right? Wrong! I like to cold-brew my coffee.

A couple of years ago, the New York Times published a recipe for cold-brewed iced coffee. It's less acidic than brewed coffee, and I think a smoother taste. Cold brewed coffee also produces a concentrate - so you can water it down and make it hot, or "water" it down with milk. Your choice!

It's super easy to make:

1 1/2 cups water (you can double, triple...make five or six times as much!)
1/3 c medium grind coffee
Large container (preferably with spout for easy pouring).
Sieve
Gold coffee filter
Pitcher

Mix together coffee and water in a large container. Let sit at room temperature for 24 hours or so. Pour the coffee and grinds through sieve, discarding solids. Rinse container and refilter with gold coffee filter (you can repeat if you wish - it will remain a bit cloudy - totally okay!). Mix with water and/or milk as you wish and enjoy.

No comments: