Sunday, August 2, 2009

Coastal Granola!


I love granola.

Many granolas are cloyingly sweet and full of fats. They might not be crispy enough or fruity enough or nutty enough for your liking. It's a perfect meal in one - protein and fats (nuts), whole grains (oats), and fruits (whatever sweet treat the blend has). I've hiked my way through Switzerland with a custom nut-fruit-chocolate blend of granola. Granola is also my go-to, get-home-late-from-work-and-don't-want- (or too tipsy and tired from happy hour) to-cook-dinner snack. In a bowl with milk, or over yogurt - or alone - you can't go wrong!

These days, however, many granolas are cloyingly sweet and full of fats. They might not be crispy enough or fruity enough for my liking. I'm a huge fan of Bear Naked granola, but I haven't had any since mid-May. My granola pangs came back this past week in full force, however, my family this summer has moved on (or won't give in to their granola cravings). I could not stop thinking about my two favorite kinds: 1) Kingslake and Crane - I used to get this at Maya's To Go in St Barths; 2) the homemade granola from fellow Martha-alum John Barricelli's SoNo Baking Company (maybe he'll divulge the recipe in his new cookbook coming out in March!). Both are crispy, toasty, with a touch of sweetness - and lots of fruit and nuts.

What is a girl to do? Create her own, of course! Working off of my favorite flavors, and some hand-me-down recipes, I developed the one below. Lo and behold, it reminds me a lot of those favorites above - perfection!

My Coastal Granola

3 cups rolled oats

1 cup walnuts

1 cup almonds * can choose others you wish – good: cashews, brazil nuts, pecans

1 cup angelflake coconut

Optional – flaxseed (1/4 cup)

1/4 cup grapeseed oil

1/2 cup raw honey

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

1 cup dried cranberries

1 cup dried cherries ** can also use raisins, apricots, etc

Preheat oven to 350. Combine oats, nuts, and coconut in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine oil and honey with 2 tablespoons of warm water. Stir to combine. Pour liquids into the dry ingredients and toss to coat. Pour onto silpat lined cookie sheet and bake for 45-50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes (note sides will turn golden first) until evenly golden brown. Remove from oven and cool. Once cool, toss with fruit and store/freeze.

No comments: