Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Easy Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

And... more radio silence from me. It's been a busy month! I returned from an epic summer along the Wasatch Front and decompressed along the South Coast of Massachusetts for a couple of weeks before returning to one of my favorite places in New England: The Upper Valley. 

While the recipes may wane with classes underway, I'll try to post a couple of times a month. First up is one of the wild, new flavors I encountered this summer: Roasted Tomatillo Salsa. I should preface this with a) I've never willingly bought tomatillos and b) never really cooked with them. So when they come my way via a CSA not once, but TWICE, I knew some ingenuity would have to be mustered up.

First up, the one result I DID document digitally, oh and then LOSE: Roasted Tomatillo Salsa. It was a few days before I hosted a bunch of friends for a casual potluck-movie night at 8,550 feet. Roasting anything at that altitude takes some patience and additional moisture. But the thought of just blitzing raw tomatillos in a Cuisinart didn't appeal to me. I've said this a million times over: Everything is better roasted. And with some heat. 

For ease, and to add depth of flavor, I roasted the tomatillos, chiles, and garlic together (bathed in some water to keep them moist while completely roasting through - it's dry at altitude!). This is a mindlessly easy recipe, and delicious -- I think one guest (assisted by another) downed the entire bowl!

Another motivating factor for posting this today: It's a GREAT football Sunday snack!

Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
Makes about 1 1/2 cups

5 medium tomatillos
2-3 serrano chiles
3 cloves garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt

Peel and wash the tomatillos. Split and seed the chiles. Peel garlic. Roast the ingredients together in a foil package at 350 degrees until tender (time depends on altitude; I roasted mine for 45 minutes).

Add the roasted vegetables, cilantro, and salt to a blender. Process until smooth, thinning out with a bit of water if necessary. Season to taste, adding a bit of cilantro, cumin or lime, if you like. Serve with corn chips.

No comments: