Saturday, October 22, 2011

Gluten-Free Banana Walnut Muffins


In the morning, nothing quite satisfies like a muffin when you've got to grab breakfast on the run, for me at least. Yet most muffins are calorie-bombs, full of sugar, fat, and processed white flour, and completely devoid of protein for the most part.


When I went gluten-free, I initially feared my muffin days were over. Hard, for a muffin lover. Then I got to experimenting with a combination of almond and amaranth flours, both on my OK list. After mastering a simple gluten-free blueberry muffin recipe made with almond flour, next up on my list was something with bananas and walnuts, two of my favorite foods. The result is this recipe here, of course with the addition of chocolate chips, for good luck.

I like serving these with tea in the afternoon, or with my morning cappuccino.

Gluten-Free Banana Walnut Muffins

½ cups almond flour
½ cup amaranth flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 eggs
3 tablespoons grapeseed oil, plus more for greasing
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 large overly ripe bananas
2/3 cup walnuts, chopped
2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. In a small bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, and salt. Mix well with a fork and set aside.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Add the oil, honey, and vanilla. Whisk to combine. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and combine. Add the banana and mix well again. Stir in the walnuts and chocolate chips.

Pour into a greased muffin tin, filling each cup no more than ¾ of the way. Bake for 18-23 minutes, or until the centers are just set and the muffins are golden around the edges.

Let cool 10-15 minutes and serve.

Makes 12 regular-sized muffins

Total time: 40 minutes

No comments: