Sunday, October 30, 2011

Broiled Salmon with Strawberry Sauce


Making a healthy dinner doesn't have to take forever. Typically when I cook, it's once a week and I usually take on a challenge that will take me about 2-3 hours rather than 15-30 minutes. Those dishes will then last me through the week so all I have to do is come home, warm something up, pour a glass of wine, and manger!

Come summer though, I don't want to spend 4 hours cooking inside on a sunny Sunday (and I've also been away). So, I often have to come up with some quick-prep weeknight dinners. And broiling salmon, even when it's 90 (OK 101? Not so much), isn't bad (or won't set off my smoke alarm like broiling burgers does). 

There is nothing I love more than a simply broiled salmon topped with a slightly sweet, slightly salty glaze. Yes, even in the winter. While I typically glaze my fillets with maple syrup and a bit of soy sauce, fresh strawberries cooked down with a bit of strawberry jam makes for a delicious topping that can be made in mere minutes.

Serve with a side salad or, as I did, with sautéed zucchini ribbons tossed in pesto.

Broiled Salmon with Strawberry Sauce
1 cup strawberries, trimmed and diced into 1/2-inch chunks
1/4 cup strawberry jam
2 salmon fillets, about 4 ounces each
Salt, for finishing
Fennel seeds, for finishing (optional)

Preheat broiler to high. Meanwhile, combine strawberries and jam. Cook either over high heat on stove top until the strawberries begin to break down or cook uncovered in microwave for 90 seconds. Set aside.

Place fillets in an oven-proof pan. Top each fillet with 2 tablespoons each of sauce. Season with salt and fennel seeds. 

Broil about 1 inch away from element for 6-8 minutes, or until the fish is nearly cooked through. Serve immediately drizzled with more sauce.

Serves 2
Total time: 20 minutes

No comments: