Saturday, February 12, 2011

Homemade Egg Fettuccine


Ever since I went to Italy in 2009 (it was the trip that spurred my greatest risk-taking yet: quitting my job, with no concrete future plans, to follow what makes me happy -- working in food media and cooking), I've been slightly obsessed with pasta.

Now, to clarify, my pasta obsession does not have me eating noodles at every meal, nor do I order pasta each time I dine out (that's possibly because I now have high pasta standards. Thank you, Tuscany!). Instead, the aroma of fresh egg noodles, the silky-smooth feeling of thin sheets of pasta rolling through the machine, and the meditative kneading of the dough has me smitted. Oh, and the aroma. Can we visit that again?


While I try to avoid overdoing it on carbs, I can't resist them when the mercury plunges (or maybe it's because I haven't had a warm-weather escape yet. Yes, the serotonin factor). This week was one of those weeks. So, what better time than now to test out the new pasta attachment on the KitchenAid mixer? The question remaining: to make egg pasta or classic Italian, from my La Chiusa cookbook (yes, an Italian souvenir that I love... ah, Dania). 



Egg it was. And it turned out delightfully. On the menu tonight? Fettuccine with pesto, sundried tomatoes, and arugula. Or maybe some leftover sweet fig-chorizo ragu. Haven't decided yet. Both sound good.

And, I can't wait to bring the attachments with me next weekend to Rhode Island. Spaghetti maybe, with a tomato-garlic sauce from the garden? Or pappardelle with a braised lamb ragu? Tell me what you think I should make!!!

Simple Egg Pasta

2 3/4 cups unbleached white flour, plus more for kneading and to prevent the pasta from sticking, if necessary
Large pinch of salt
3 eggs

In a medium bowl, combine the flour and salt and mix well. Make a well with your fingers and crack the eggs into the well. With a fork, gently mix the eggs together, and keep mixing gradually adding a bit more flour from the sides with each whisk. 

Once most of flour has been combined with the egg, turn out the mixture on to a lightly floured surface. Knead for about 6-7 minutes, until all the flour has been incorporated. Wrap the dough in plastic and let it rest in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.

Bring the dough to room temperature and divide it into 4 equal-sized balls. Process through a pasta machine as instructed, cutting the dough to how you wish.

No comments: