Sunday, February 13, 2011

Holy Muac-a-mole!

I love avocadoes. The creamy texture, slightly sweet, green taste. My mom got me hooked on serving avocado with mango over a green salad, and one of my favorite breakfasts consists of my favorite nutty German-style bread, toasted, served with a smear of avocadoes and topped with prosciutto. 


Lucky for me, when my stomach started grumbling today around 5 p.m., I was lucky enough to have an avocado and a jalapeno on hand. What to make? My favorite guacamole, of course.

I used to use lots of garlic and jalapenos in my guacamole -- until a time came when I tried making the recipe from Josefina Howard, one of the co-founder's of Rosa Mexicano here in New York City. The combination of white onion and jalapeno is incredible, especially when served with my favorite thick-cut corn chips from Native Kjalii. Oh wow...

The key to making this guacamole is to finely dice half of the onion and jalapeno, and then toncreate a paste with the two using the side of your chef's knife, and a sprinkle of salt (Rosa Mexicano uses a molcajete; I have yet to invest in one for my tiny apartment just yet). The juice of the onion and the jalapeno, combined with the first half of the avocado, helps create a smooth paste with lots of flavor. Then, add in the other half of the onion, jalapeno, chopped avocado, with a smattering of salt, to make a chunky guacamole. While one usually adds a chopped tomato to the avocado mixture, the so-called red tomatoes in the market right now just don't cut it. So, I added in a couple of finely chopped sun dried tomatoes -- consider it my wintertime kick.


Winter Guacamole
Inspired by Rosa Mexicano
1 jalapeno, seeds removed and finely diced
1/3 cup finely chopped white onion (about 1/4 of a large white onion)
Salt
1 avocado
4 sun dried tomatoes (not in oil), finely chopped
Finely chopped cilantro, to taste

Combine half of the onion and jalapeno together with a pinch of salt and, using the side of your knife, create a paste. Place in a small bowl. 
Add 1/2 of the avocado to the paste and stir well to create a smooth paste. Add in the rest of the jalapeno, onion, and avocado. Add the sun dried tomato, and optional cilantro (I usually use it but didn't have any this time... nor did I miss it) and season to taste.

No comments: