Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pumpkin Pancake


I love pancakes. I can't deny it. But ever since going off gluten and dairy (oh, and corn - a once-essential ingredient in my pancakes, per my darling father), they have kind of cramped my style (dietary requirement??). 'Til now.
To say I've been drowning in pumpkins is an understatement. I had 5, until I roasted one for soup, glittered another, painted yet a third with chalkboard paint, made a fourth into pasta, and saved the last - a mini white one - for decorative purposes. So, what to do with three cups of pumpkin puree when you're sick of soup, can't handle any more pasta for the time being, and just want something comforting like the filling of a pie (save the crust, and effort)? Make pancakes, of course.

The first time I did this was a lazy Saturday morning. I had 9 miles in my future, and a raging sweet tooth. And a "carb" craving. Ha. Can't have carbs as I'm sure you can. But I was determined to make a pancake, and thank goodness I had fresh heirloom pumpkin puree, and eggs, in my fridge. I'll do it my way.

This is a most delicious gluten-free, dairy-free pancake recipe, with the sweetness of vanilla, almond milk, and cinnamon, just like a pie, but with a bit more substance (minus the blood sugar crash). I like eating this with warm, homemade applesauce, or sliced bananas, toasted walnuts, and maple syrup. Try it, then tell me what your combination du jour is!!!



Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pancakes

1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup cooked pumpkin flesh
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon grapeseed oil
Salt, to taste (I use a pinch)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Combine flour and baking soda well. Add pumpkin. Stir in egg, vanilla, and oil. Season with salt, vanilla, and cinnamon. Set aside.

Heat a 9-inch cast-iron skilled to hot. Add 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil til shimmering. Pour in the batter, reduce to medium heat, and cook until the sides are set, about 8 minutes. Carefully flip and continue cooking for about 5 minutes.

Flip onto plate and serve with preferred garnishes, like warm applesauce, toasted coconut, roasted nuts, and a hearty drizzle of maple syrup. Enjoy.

Makes one large pancake, serving one.

No comments: