Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Gluten Free Waffles

I. LOVE. WAFFLES!

Last year, banana-nut almond flour pancakes were my go-to. This year? I actually haven't made pancakes, french toast, or waffles since... this summer? The morning I went mountain biking and did THIS to my legs?
(Yeah, I was complimented on my war wounds shopping in one of the SLC Whole Foods. I kind of liked it).

This summer, there were a few occasions when I slept in, made a big lazy breakfast, and sat out on the sunny deck. It currently looks like this:

French toast (with Udi's GF bread) was my first go-to. Then I realized I had the little waffles makers. Personally, I prefer Belgian-style (the thick kind) waffles, but these were oh so tasty. Topped with salted nuts, sliced bananas, coconut flakes, cinnamon, and LOTS of hot maple syrup from VT...? AMAZING!

Gluten-Free Almond Flour Waffles

1/2 cup almond flour
1/3 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons sugar
Pinch of salt
2 eggs, separated
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Add egg yolks in a well in the middle. Whisk together. Add oil and vanilla and combine well. Whip egg whites until stiff peaks, and add to batter gently, folding in until just mixed.

Pour into a heated, lightly greased waffle iron. Cook according to the timer on the waffle maker. Top with your choice of toppings, perhaps blueberries and maple syrup, peanuts and fruity syrup, or my favorite, bananas, salted nuts, and LOTS of maple syrup!


No comments: