Saturday, August 28, 2010

Molasses Madness

















Everyone who reads this probably knows I'm a little nutty for granola. So, surprise surprise, I'm out of granola here in NYC and nothing storebought compares to my own.

















The pantry here is very minimal, but I have the proper ingredients (oats, nuts, dried fruit, cinnamon, coconut) for my crunchy concoction. And a couple of new but effective -- and essential -- ingredients: blackstrap molasses (reminds me of my childhood, when I apparently was fed a teaspoon nightly. It's nutritious stuff, a concentrated liquid produced when refining sugar cane into (evil) white sugar, and an excellent source of iron, calcium, manganese, potassium and copper), coconut oil (again, VERY good for you, and helps boost your metabolism and helps moisturize your skin from the inside out. It's helped rid my hands of eczema in the winter!), and nutmeg (ever since my trip to the BVIs, I've fallen in love with this spice, freshly grated, again).

Couldn't resist sampling!

















Molasses - Coconut Granola

3 c rolled oats
1/3 c flaxseed
1 c angelflake coconut
1/2-1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 of a nutmeg, freshly grated (about 1/4 tsp I think)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c coconut oil, heated til liquid
1/2 c blackstrap molasses
1 c walnuts, raw
1/2 c mixed nuts
1 1/2 c dried fruits (I used dried figs, halved, and some dried sour cherries)

Toss the oats and spices together well. Combine and stir together oil and molasses with the salt and 1/4 c hot water. Pour over dry ingredients and combine well. Place on silpat lined baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees, tossing every 15 minutes to make sure the granola is toasting evenly.

Remove from oven and let cool. Pour into bowl and combine with dried fruits. Store in airtight container or in a freezer ziploc bag. And take a sample immediately to taste -- soo good!

No comments: