Thursday, May 20, 2010

Meatless days means a craving for meat at night


In my recent effort to eliminate processed foods from my diet, I've started to eat a mostly plant-based diet during the day (save for milk and cheese). It's pretty easy for me, especially as it is getting warmer out and my appetite is changing, craving lighter, less "heavy" foods.

However, that is not to say I have intense meat cravings every other day or so. For example, Tuesday. It was a relatively cold, rainy day. I had started my day off (too early, if you ask me) in New York City and hopped Amtrak back to Rhode Island that afternoon. I was exhausted from going to an event the night before, and running around Manhattan that morning, doing errands. I had grabbed a mesclun salad with pecans, goat cheese, and dried cranberries for lunch. Yet, it didn't quite do the trick

So, by the time I got to Whole Foods in Providence, I had already been masterminding my dinner: asparagus, roasted simply. A hunk of my favorite olive bread from Seven Stars Bakery. Throw in some sauteed oyster and shittake mushrooms, some raisins, salted dried nuts, maybe even put it on a bed of my favorite Satur Farms arugula. And the crowning glory? A couple of slices of delicious rosemary-garlic marinated and grilled grass-fed flank steak. Mmm.


The marinade itself is super easy. I whipped it together in about 10 minutes and let it sit in the fridge for about an hour and 45 minutes. I took it out of the fridge as I started to prep the other ingredients for my meal, so it sat and came to room temp for about 30 minutes. Grilled it about 4 minutes per side, and let it rest for 10. Super fast, easy, clean. Oh, and did I mention tasty?


Here are the shittakes and oyster mushrooms sauteeing. I used a little dry sherry and a hit of cream for flavor. They are excellent even 2-3 days later, tossed cold in a salad, or in a sandwich with some leftover steak.


I've written about roasting asparagus before. Blanch it quickly, then toss with olive oil and a pinch of salt. Broil in oven til it starts to take on color. Season to taste -- or add some grated cheese -- and enjoy.


Here's my steak, kind of still resting (I got excited and had to sample before my 10 minutes were up!). 

Rosemary-Garlic Marinade
(good for about 1 - 1.5 lbs of meat)

1/4 c olive oil
1/4 c honey
1/4 c soy sauce
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 stalks rosemary, chopped
black pepper
1/2 tsp salt

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Place steak in a 9x13" glass pan and pour marinade over. Let sit in fridge for 2 hours, turning every 30 minutes. Before cooking, let meat come to room temperature. Grill steak to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side. Let rest before slicing against the grain.


The finished result. Yum.

1 comment:

Keri said...

Yow! This is what I call a fabulous meal. L o v e l y ... thanks for sharing and making me salivate all over my key board. Come and see me on my sandwich blog, I'd be honored. keri a.k.a. Sam