Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Super-Rich Dark Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

Who doesn't love chocolate? And in honor of Valentine's Day, I had to indulge myself and get baking (baking is the indulgence, not the chocolate. My day isn't complete without at least a small piece!)

Now gluten- and dairy-free, finding a dark chocolate cookie that satisfies my cravings but doesn't leave my stomach aching can be a challenge. No more traditional brownies (I'll take mine made with coconut oil, thank you very much). And sorry City Bakery, I no longer come in for my stressful day fixes (same with you, Levain Bakery... but you're worth breaking the rules). But these hit the spot. Just one small cookie, not too sweet, and oh-so-dark and chocolaty. They're REALLY good.

Dark Chocolate Gluten-Free Crinkle Cookies

9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, broken into 1-inch chunks and partly melted over double boiler
3 egg whites
2 cups confectioner's sugar, plus more for rolling
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I like Ghiradelli)
1 tablespoon tapioca starch
1/3 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with Silpat. Let melted chocolate cool to room temperature. In a mixer, whip whites at high speed til very frothy. Add 1 cup confectioner's sugar and whip until the mixture resembles smooth marshmallow cream, about 5 minutes.


In a small bowl, mix together remaining sugar, cocoa powder, starch, and salt. Gradually add the mixture to the cream, beating well after each addition, at a slow speed. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Add the warm, melted chocolate to the mixture and mix to combine. The dough will immediately stiffen up.

Makes about 25 cookies

No comments: