Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Starting a sleepy Sunday off right

When was the last time you had pancakes? Are you like me, in that though you love the taste of pancakes, the sugar rush and blood sugar collapse that results leaves you with the urge to nap the day away, unwillingly? If so, read on!

All last week, the craving for a sweet, comforting, proper weekend breakfast kept continually creeping up on me. I tried to quell the growing urge in my stomach first with my go-to favorite, PB and J on toast. Nope. Oatmeal with almond butter, coconut, and berries? Nada, either.

So, luck be have it when Tasting Table sent around a recipe for "light and fluffy buttermilk pancakes" from the Bromberg Bros (of Blue Ribbon fame) new cookbook. All I recall was that the craving in my stomach surged, and I saw the words "light" and "fluffy" together with "pancakes." Yet, this time, my willpower prevailed and I set the recipe aside for some rainy day where I could make these and then promptly pass out, without feeling guilty.

Ha. Too bad someone spotted bacon at the grocery store last Saturday. Nothing comes between a hungry man and his bacon, so when he held up the package with a devilish grin, I paused a moment. Bacon? What to make for breakfast that is new and yummy with bacon? Pancakes...but...but... 

I put my plunging blood sugar level worries aside, and let my man, the bacon, and the pancakes win this time. Maybe this is a recipe I should try.

So, Sunday morning...well, okay, noon, I realized again I lacked a couple of ingredients that the recipe called for (buttermilk and vegetable oil). Not deterred yet, as I also prefer using whole wheat pastry flour and cornmeal when making pancakes or waffles (not only do I prefer the subtly nuttier flavors, the added texture is appealing to me, plus its added fiber to help prevent the quick drop in blood sugar). So, I modified the recipe (see below) as I worked. I also added some blueberries to the batter, for added flavor and moisture. Since I was a child, I don't think I've ever had a pancake without an abundance of some kind of fruit (strawberries, apples, bananas, blueberries, raspberries, mango) in it. I probably wouldn't even eat it! Unlike the waffle, the pancake is simply a vehicle for warm fruit!

Though this makes a fair amount of batter, I am ashamed to say that we polished off about 2/3 of it. But, then again, we were both utterly famished. Three big pancakes and a couple of slices of crispy bacon later, we were perfectly satiated. But would the blood sugar hold? It did indeed. We read all afternoon on the couch, and 6 hours later, only the slightest rumble of the stomach but no dropping blood sugar. The new brunch of champions. I might have to make this again next weekend, too!

Fluffy and Fruity Pancakes (makes 15 small, or 8 large)
Inspired by Bromberg Bros. Blue Ribbon Cookbook

2 5/8 c milk
3/8 c apple cider vinegar
2 c whole wheat pastry flour
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs, room temperature
2 tbsp ghee, melted and more to grease pan
Fruit (any berry, banana, apple, mango, sliced)
REAL VT maple syrup, warmed up

Combine milk and vinegar together in a bowl and let sit until curdle-y. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and whisk well. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs together, then add the ghee and buttermilk. Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently combine. Let sit 10 minutes, or until thickened. Gently stir in the fruit.

Heat a nonstick skillet (worked beautifully for me!) until hot (or a griddle). Lightly grease. Work in 1/4 c to 3/4 c increments and cook until the edges are lightly browned and air bubbles form on the surface (about 3 min). Flip and cook until the other side is golden (1-2 min more). Continue with the rest of the batter and serve hot with maple syrup!

No comments: