Monday, July 6, 2009

Sweet Summer Supper Spots

So, last week I was reading some postings on Chowhound, and decided I needed to weigh in on area good-eats and those I wish to visit. Inspired by my friend and fellow blogger The LunchBelle, here are my Fairfield County picks!

Greenwich:
1. Mediterraneo - a wonderful selection of beautifully and deliciously prepared mediterranean dishes. My picks? The simple baby lettuce salad, goat cheese fritter, hearts of romaine, any of the pizzas, striped bass with figs, parmesan crusted halibut, chicken milanese. Perfect for a mid-day glass of white and a light lunch while shopping on the Avenue. I love the map of the French Riviera on the ceiling! Sit outside if it's warm.

2. Terra - Mediterraneo's sister restaurant. Not as bright, but equally cozy and warm. The cocktails hit the spot! I've only hit Terra for lunch. Love the grilled asparagus with egg, and the tre colore salad, and the pizzas - similar menu to Mediterraneo.

3. Thomas Henkelmann - for the special occasion, Thomas Henkelmann makes the mark every time! The salads and soups are simple and delicious. The salmon is perfectly cooked, with asparagus. The halibut is a tender surprise inside the potato covered exterior. Service is seamless and always impeccable. The tarts and souffles are a perfect way to end a dreamy evening.

4. Tengda - This sushi/asian fusion place is now in other towns (Darien, Westport), but my favorite location remains Greenwich. Located in a town home off of West Putnam (it's previous residents didn't last long - Tengda clearly has succeeded. Innovative rolls, and delicious salads.

5. Versailles - on the Avenue, this French gem is a true find. A favorite for breakfast on a snow day morning, or for cocoa and baked treats on a winter afternoon. The apple tarts and eclairs are out of this world!

6. Aux Delices - for take away sandwiches, salads, prepared meals, and cakes, the original location on the Post Road is the place to go. A wide selection for tastes of all kinds.

7. Baang - Asian fusion. A must-try if you like this cuisine! Firecracker spring rolls and crispy spinach a must. I love the salmon and sea bass!

8. Rebecca's - My absolute favorite! I go here nearly every year for my birthday, I love it so much. Rebecca is such a wonderful hostess, and her husband is a genius in the kitchen. There isn't one thing on the menu I don't love...but the sole has my heart. Their green salad is so simple, yet flavorful and filling. I was there in April of 2009, and she had the most amazing peony arrangements. Classic, modern, sophisticated...and timeless!

Have you been? I do want to try!
RK, An American Brasserie
Boxcar Cantina
Fonda La Paloma
Barcelona Wine Bar
Gaia

New Canaan:
1. Cava - consistently great Italian on Forest Street. Fresh salads, delicious salmon, perfect veal milanese, and the perfect pappardelle. As it has gotten more popular, the noise level has risen, though. Still a favorite (I wish they'd bring back the ricotta spread for the bread!).

2. Sole - sister to Terra and Mediterraneo, Sole is a "scene" here in little New Canaan. Mediterranean fare that you can't go wrong with. I recommend the salads, soups, pizzas, halibut, salmon, veal.

3. Gates - California style cuisine. Great salads and sandwiches, and a fun bar (think big, polished oak!). Something for everyone - even sundaes in baseball caps (they're plastic) for the kids. They do put something in their hot fudge that makes me crazy =)

4. Bistro Bonne Nuit - a winter time favorite. I absolutely LOVE their bistro salad and tomato tart! The chicken is delicious, lamb chops are amazing, and the salmon perfect. Their profiteroles are out of this world!

5. Gelatissimo - The best gelato I have ever had!!!! And, yes - I've been to Italy (ate gelato around the country - nothing beat this), and I've had all the best in NYC. I am salivating thinking about the Old Vanilla, Hazelnut, and Tiramisu. YUM.

6. Rosie - For breakfasts, or lunch, Rosie has something for everyone. I love their paninis, salads, and cold prepared salads. Best muffins I've had in a while - well, all of their baked goods are carefully prepared and presented. I don't know what they put in the carrot cake, but as a carrot cake connoisseur, their mammoth version is the best!

Stamford:
1. Napa & Co. - I love wine, love pasta, love burgers - and this place has it all. With a focus on locally sourced foods, Napa & Co is a welcome arrival to the Fairfield county dining scene! Whether you are having a business lunch, dinner with the family, or a glass of wine (or two) with friends, this is a no-brainer choice.

I want to try:
Telluride
Market
City Limits Diner

Westport:
1. Acqua - sister to Sole, Terra, and Mediterraneo, Acqua brings the similar cuisine to Westport, CT. A great spot when you're shopping in the area.

2. The Dressing Room - Paul Newman's restaurant near the Country Playhouse. They recently re-jiggered their menu so that the portions are smaller, which means you can order and try more items! My favorites? The green salad, tomato soup, beets, asparagus, meat loaf, gnocchi, and the best ever burger! The Dressing Room also embraces the local food movement and does an exemplary job telling patrons about where their food is coming from. They have also helped establish the Wholesome Wave Farmers Market in Fairfield and Westport - a must-see for you local foodies out there!

More to come later, as I cover Wilton, Fairfield - even nearby Bedford and Pound Ridge, NY!

No comments: