Friday, May 10, 2013

Easy Carrot Top Pesto

I'm a huge fan of trying to use every little bit of a vegetable I have when cooking. I'll saute beet greens when I'm roasting beets for dinner. Celery leaves are a delicious salad ingredient, when accompanied by some herbs, a light vinaigrette, and some sweet dried fruit, salty roasted almonds, and perhaps some pungent blue cheese.

But I never quite figured out something tasty to make with carrot tops. And given that I try to purchase only fresh carrots, with their leafy tops intact, when at the market, I've tossed my fair share of carrot tops over the years.

Not anymore. When life gives you carrot tops, why not make pesto?

Really, part of me views this concoction as a vehicle for the tasty garlic-nut-cheese combination. I've been obsessed with roasting carrots for the past month of so, and this is a good accompaniment to serve along with steak (and those roasted carrots). Or in pasta. Or on toast, under a fried egg. Or alone. You really can't go wrong.

Carrot Top Pesto
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup roasted almonds
1 bunch of carrot tops, washed and trimmed
Freshly grated Parmigiano, to taste
Salt
Olive oil

In a Cuisinart, blend the garlic and almonds until a paste. Add the carrot greens and mix again. Add a bit of Parmigiano and salt, and a bit of oil. Blend. Continue adding oil until the pesto reaches a consistency you like. Check the seasoning and serve.

No comments: