Monday, January 31, 2011

What's for Dinner Tonight: Sweets 'n Beans Chili


Hungry yet? Tasked with developing a vegetarian chili recipe this week (I try to eat vegetarian about half of the time; usually the red meat cravings kick in my Wednesday... at which point, I recommend you not get between me and a juicy burger), I wanted to go a different route than my typical bean and vegetable-packed concoction. The aromas of cinnamon, cocoa, and mmm... something sweet, stuck in my head. Lucky for my taste buds I discovered some delicious orange sweet potatoes at the Union Square Greenmarket. Perfect for dinner tonight... and to save for a snow-bound meal, possibly, later this week.

Want the recipe? See below. Make it tonight and let me know what you think!

And drumroll.... It's Thursday!!! So, you know what that means? Time to check out my recipe here, and make it tonight. I'm curious to know what you think -- send me an email, or comment below.
As published on The Daily Meal

This quick and easy vegetarian chili is tasty, healthy and will also satisfy your hankering for something slightly sweet, thanks to the addition of fiber-rich sweet potatoes and cinnamon. I like my chili with a bit of a kick so I  added three jalapeños. If you have a more mild palate, you can substitute in a julienned bell pepper. 

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, quartered and sliced thin
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3 jalapeños, halved, de-seeded, and sliced thin
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into ½-inch chunks
1/2 teaspoon cumin, plus more to taste
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more to taste
1/4 teaspoon cayenne, plus more to taste
1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
Freshly ground pepper
26 ounces tomato purée
1 cup water
1 cup vegetable stock (you can also use chicken)
One 15-ounce can red kidney beans, drained
One 15-ounce can black beans, drained
Zest of 1 orange (optional)
Lemon juice, to taste (optional)
Cilantro leaves, for garnish
Sour cream, for garnish
Cheddar cheese, grated, for garnish

Heat oil in saucepan over high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the jalapeños and cook until they are tender. Add the sweet potatoes and cook 5 minutes or so. Add spices and seasonings and stir. Add in tomatoes, water, and stock. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, cooking about 10-15 minutes, until the potatoes are almost tender.

Add the beans and bring back to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until thickened and the potatoes are very tender. Taste for seasoning, adjusting as needed, and add in the optional orange zest and lemon juice if you wish. Ladle into bowls and garnish with cilantro, sour cream, and grated cheese.

Serves 4
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes

No comments: